2015 International Council
On October 10, 2015, over 150 Bretton Woods Committee members and friends gathered for our annual International Council meeting in Lima, Peru alongside the IMF/World Bank Annual Meetings. This year’s meeting focused on resilience and risks within the global economy – specifically within the financial sector and among advanced and emerging economies. Speakers also debated the state of global fiscal and monetary policy coordination and implementation to drive strong, sustainable and balanced global growth.
“There’s a great sense of unease,” said Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for Economic and Social Policy. “That sense of unease explains why globally, almost everywhere, investment is much weaker than we’d expect.”
Additionally, speakers and audience members discussed progress on the harmonization and implementation of global financial regulation and reforms efforts and improvements and remaining challenges in addressing systemic risks, including risks posed by non-bank financial firms.
Among the distinguished speakers were:
• Angel Gurria, Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
• Stefan Ingves, Governor, Sveriges Riksbank and Chairman, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision
• Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
• Luis Alberto Moreno, President, Inter-American Development Bank
• Nouriel Roubini, Chairman and Co-Founder, Roubini Global Economics
• Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for Economic and Social Policy, Republic of Singapore
• Jean-Claude Trichet, Honorary Governor, Banque de France and former ECB President
Special thanks to SICPA Holdings, for sponsoring this year’s International Council program.