2016 Annual Meeting Highlights
The Bretton Woods Committee would like to thank all our members and friends who joined us yesterday at our 2016 Annual Meeting – The Spirit of Bretton Woods: Multilateral Leadership in Turbulent Times.
The meeting was a great success and we had an insightful discussion on the role of multilateral and U.S. leadership in facing a new set of emerging global challenges including: the British vote to exit the European Union; prospects for regional trade agreements such as TPP and T-TIP; the Chinese rebalance; policy response to fragility across emerging and developing markets; and implementation of COP21 agreement, SDG's, and new multilaterals such as AIIB.
Among the distinguished speakers were:
• Jacob J. Lew, Secretary, U.S. Department of the Treasury (read remarks here)
• David Lipton, First Deputy Managing Director, International Monetary Fund (read remarks here)
• Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing Director and COO of the World Bank (read remarks here)
• Ambassador Michael Froman, United States Trade Representative (read remarks here)
• Eric G. Postel, Associate Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development
• Helene Gayle, CEO, McKinsey Social Initiative
• Craig Steffensen, Representative, North American Representative Office, Asian Development Bank
See the links below for press coverage of the Bretton Woods Committee 2016 Annual Meeting:
• CNBC - Treasury's Lew: UK vote to leave is not the making of another financial crisis
• Reuters - Treasury chief: governments should use all tools to boost growth
• Politico - Froman: Brexit shows importance of TPP, T-TIP
• Bloomberg - Bill Rhodes: European Banks Will Be Challenged By Brexit
Please check back in the days ahead for full event summary and video recording.